Keeping your business website fresh and updated is an essential Internet marketing strategy today. There is no better way to do this than with a content management system.

The CMS or content management system is the platform your website is built on that allows you to make updates to your website from any computer. It is what allows you to change text and images, add pages, deploy a photo gallery or install a blog for your website.

Content Management System Factors

About two thirds of all websites (65.4% according to w3Techs) do not use a content management system. Instead they require changes to be made using web design software. The remaining 34.6% of websites use a content management system.

  1. Many Choices: The website CMS Matrix lists 1200 CMS products for you to compare features and functions. This gives you an overwhelming list to choose from.
  2. Most popular: According to w3Techs WordPress is the most popular CMS with 59% of websites using a CMS, using WordPress. Joomla follows in second place with 9.4% market share, then Drupal with 5.7%. Keep in mind that it is much easier to find a developer to work on your website if you stay with a popular CMS.
  3. Easiest to use: WordPress has the reputation as the easiest to use requiring the least technical skills. Joomla is in second place requiring semi-technical users. Drupal is the most complex to use. All 3 CMS systems have a loyal following that enjoy using the system.
  4. Most secure: According to Rackspace, a well-known premium hosting provider, both Joomla and Drupal are more advanced in security functionality. WordPress requires regular updates and setup modifications to keep it secure from hackers. See attached article on making WordPress secure.

WordPress: Which content management system do we recommend? WordPress is our choice because of its enormous community, easy access to plugins to add custom functionality. WordPress also has the reputation for being the most search engine friendly. You need to keep it updated and setup basic security to keep the hackers at bay.